Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reco: General Elektriks

I've been a fan of General Elektriks since I heard a track on 88.5 back in Atlanta. Funky, soulful, hip-hop electronica with lots of nice vintage keyboards (GE is a french keyboardist who tours with a bunch of hip-hop groups).

I recently stopped by http://www.general-elektriks.com and discovered that he has a new album coming out. Better yet, there are free MC collaboration tracks on the website under the heading "a pocketful of MC's". Very nice stuff featuring Mr. Lif, Pigeon John, and his old friend Lateef! Be sure to check out "requiem for a neo-con": it's got the funkiest keyboards I've heard since Propellerheads.

While I'm on the General Elektriks tangent, head over to http://www.solesides.com/ , the unofficial home of Quannum Records (GE's US label). They've got a ton of free tracks and podcasts to download, including the new Lyrics Born/Lateef tha Truth Speaker collab. I can't say I'm a fan of LB's new 80's funk style, but it's still a good track, and maybe it will grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment